Is Your Spouse or Partner on Board?
December 8, 2011
Just because you have a solo business doesn’t mean you’re in it alone. If you have a spouse or partner odds are they’re in it with you even if they’re not doing the hands on work.
Here are six ways to work with your spouse or partner so they will support you as you build your dream business.
- Show genuine interest. It’s really easy to get caught up in the excitement of a business startup but you can’t assume your partner is equally as enthused. They probably don’t always want to hear about all of your trials and tribulations 24/7 without you taking a vested interest in them and their day. Not every partner is on board when the other starts a business so an easy way to work around some potential fights is to show the same interest in your partners work that you would like to have them show in yours.
- Split tasks and chores (and stick to them). There is some freedom to having a home based business but for those who may be balancing a job and growing a business you have a lot on your plate. Do your best to evenly distribute all of the household chores and tasks and stick to what you say you’ll be doing.
- Set a work schedule. A sure fire way of having a fight is working all the time. Having gone through this scenario I know what it’s like to have two children, a job and a solo business and work all the time. It wasn’t until I established work hours for my business that life got easier. Not only could I refer to a set schedule for business but my spouse knew when I was going to work in my job and my business. I no longer worked around the clock.
- Don’t talk work or business on “Date Night” (unless both parties agree). Sometimes both parties need a break from work and one of the best ways to do it is to leave it all behind. A date night is the perfect time to not talk shop..that is unless it’s the only time you have together and you both agree but remember to show genuine interest if you do.
- Talk about the money. The entire subject of money can get really tricky especially when you’re new to business and don’t have much coming in the door. They’re not going to understand when you say you want to hire a virtual assistant, coach or pay for a training when you’re not bringing in the money. You need to speak with an Accountant or CPA and even bring your partner with you to find out how your investment in yourself may possibly be an excellent monetary decision.
- Invite them to join you. Don’t just assume that your partner doesn’t want to be a part of your business. They have ideas and opinions too and ultimately they care about you, your happiness and the success or failure of your business. Invite them to help you strategize, organize and prioritize. Ask them if they’d like to be a part of what you’re doing and see if they can take on some tasks that help you. Show them their opinions and ideas matter and be open to what they offer you. They are likely your greatest fan already so let them be a part of what you’re doing.
In the comments below I’d love to hear the following from you.
- How does your spouse or partner feel about you having a business?
- What have you done to keep your relationship in tact while growing it?
Download the Ultimate Speaking Lead Generation Starter Guide
Discover how to get your most ideal leads from speaking
Want to make more money in your business?
- Here’s how I can help -
Attract more clients, fill your funnel and get more ideal clients to your Discovery Calls so you can sell your coaching programs and offers in this private coaching program that includes modules, templates and guides.
Ideal for online coaches, strategists and service based business owners who want to use speaking to attract ideal clients through live and virtual stages.
This 12-month program helps you create recurring revenue business models, transformational offers, a one-to-many marketing system and simplified sales systems to monetize and scale your business and break into multiple 6 figures and beyond.
Ideal for growing and advancing online coaches, strategists and service based business owners who want a streamlined approach to attract, convert and scale.
Work with Jeannie in her private 90 day coaching program to design or refine your next offer, develop your sales system to sell and fill your your offer, coaching program or mastermind with ease.
Ideal for online coaches, strategists and service based business owners who want private coaching to help you launch, sell and enroll clients into your next offer.