Great! You’ve decided to start speaking and you want to come up with a signature talk, but instead of diving in and creating it, you’re feeling overwhelmed and not sure where to start.
You’re not alone, as exciting as it is to get out and speak, not sure what to speak about and how to create your signature talk can keep you from doing it.
In today’s post I’m going to get you started with your topic and title.
Choosing a Signature Talk Topic
First, let’s tackle your topic.
Well the first thing you need to think about is what you’re going to talk about (your topic).
Now this should be relatively easy for you. Please don’t overthink this, it’s going to be your area of expertise, what you know and the work you do to support your clients.
Take me for example, I have multiple topics I can speak about, but for the sake of attracting clients, I really want to be known for two different things:
- Helping coaches, consultants and solopreneurs master speaking and selling to attract and convert more clients
- Helping coaches, consultants and solopreneurs generate money (and do it consistently) in their business
You’ll notice that both topics help to solve a problem. A problem my ideal clients are having.
Now, because I know the process to support with both of these problems, I have signature talks that show what I know about solving the problem.
See how this works?
Choosing a Title for Your Signature Talk
Now let’s talk about how to come up with the title.
There are many ways to do this, but the easy way to come up with a title is to summarize the solution you provide.
For example, my title is: “The 5 Simple Steps to Speak Your Way to More Clients”. This tells my audience that I have a system to solve their problem.
Let’s take another example. My client Donna Ashton.
Her ideal clients want to generate passive income. Her solution is teaching them her process that’s helped her generate multiple 6 figures from her own online courses. Her signature talk title covers how to generate passive income with an online course.
Donna’s title for her talk is: “5 Steps to Create Passive Income in 60 Days” .
In a nutshell, what we’ve both done is summarize our topic and the solution it provides.
Can you see how you can do this for your signature talk?
Now let’s talk about some copywriting ways to fine tune your signature talk title.
One thing that’s helped me get better at coming up with titles and the bullets to describe my signature talk is to do the following:
- Magazine Covers: Magazine covers are written by professional copywriters. The key is for them to grab your attention. Pick up magazines in your house or check them out at the store and see which ones grab your attention. You can learn a lot from studying which ones grab your attention and then modeling what they’re doing for your talk
- Amazon.com: Another way of find great titles to model is to simply search for book titles in Amazon.com. Again, most are written by professionals who know exactly how to write attention grabbing titles.
If you’re wondering exactly how to write and design a signature talk and aren’t sure where to start (including choosing a topic and title for your talk), feel free to check out my home study program, Client Converting Talks.
Now I’d love to hear from you. What’s your topic? What solution do you provide for your clients? What would you like to talk about when you speak? Let me know in the comments below!
Latest posts by Jeannie Spiro (see all)
- How to Get the Right Stuff Done Over the Holidays - November 23, 2017
- Should You Write Your Book? (When Is It Right For Your Business?) - October 18, 2017
- How My Intuition Guides My Business Growth - October 15, 2017