“Are you Speaking? Then You NEED a Press Kit”
If you’re trying to grow your business then you must be working multiple avenues at a time to get word out about it. One that often paralyzes new solo business owners is becoming a public speaker. It can be intimidating especially when you’re not used to it but there are a variety of ways to improve your skills including teaching teleclasses, online interviews and in person intimate classes. But to really grow your business quickly one of the methods used is to speak to large audiences at a time. This can be done either in person or online.
One of the keys to getting booked is to become known as an Expert in your field. This alone will isolate you and have others looking to book you to speak for them. When you distinguish yourself as an expert you’ll be able to speak on a particular topic, problem or niche. When you find the audience that needs to hear what you have to say you’re in the right place to engage with them and for them to know that you offer what they may need.
It’s essential to put together a Press Kit if you’re looking to grow your business and here are some of the pieces that should go into it:
- Bio:This includes your story, education and background. It should be written as though someone was going to read it because often times they will if they are presenting you. Include anything that makes you known as the expert such as books you’ve written and press you’ve had. Have you spoken nationally? Have you been interviewed on any well known radio or t.v. programs? This is essential as it shows you are the expert. But don’t be intimidated if you haven’t yet, in time you will be doing more speaking as you establish yourself.
- Photo: You don’t have to have a professional photo when you first start out, especially if you can’t afford it. My current photo was taken by a friend with my camera and she photoshopped the background out. Be resourceful but make sure your photo looks as professional and like you and who you are. Remember that if you’re speaking and working with a certain group of individuals you want your photo to represent you and your work.
- Signature Presentation/Talk: When you are invited to be a guest or presenter they will want you to speak on a topic that their audience finds relevant or of value. I’m often asked “How do you come up with a talk without giving everything you know away?” The key to this is you actually want to give good content away so that people will want to see you as the expert. You can’t just talk about the “What” and “Why” of your topic. You also need to offer some of the “How’s”. How do you come up with your signature talk? You need to think about what topic you’re an expert in. Then you come up with 5-10 points about that topic that you teach or use all the time. This will be the basis for your signature talk.
- Testimonials: Make sure you include reviews and testimonials of your products, services and offers. You may also direct individuals back to your website to allow them to see what you have done with success.
- Getting Booked to Speak: Once you’ve put together your Press Kit including your Signature talk start looking at places you can offer to speak. Find people who you can be a guest on their radio show, Blog Talk Radio show or Joint Venture with. The more you do the more you’ll be comfortable with the process and you’ll become known as the “Go To” in your field.
Assignment: Put together a paper copy of your press kit and an electronic copy which can be emailed on demand. Begin looking at where you can speak and make a list of all those you’d like to present to within the next 6 months. Start contacting them.
What is your biggest stumbling block with public speaking? Nerves, preparedness, getting booked?
Lastly I recommend that you choose a Coach who is just a little further ahead of where you are. Not someone who is out of touch with where you are but someone who is slightly further ahead. You’ll learn a lot from them mostly because they can teach you
Do you have a problem that you need support with? Have you ever hired a coach? What results did you gain from working with one?