One of the biggest business mistakes start up entrepreneurs make is not delivering what their prospects are asking for.Let’s say you’ve built your prospect list and you’ve got followers, fans and connections on social media. Now they’re all gathered and are just waiting for you to offer what you’ve put your blood sweat and tears into creating but when you deliver this product, service or program you come up short with little to no sales, no new clients and no response. So what happened? It’s likely one of two things, your marketing struck out and or you’re not delivering what they really want.
When I started my first coaching business I provided the same programs that thousands of other coaches were offering and it wasn’t until I customized them, carved out a niche and started mirroring what other successful entrepreneurs were doing that my business started to take off. I began asking questions and modeling others and soon realized that those who are successful have figured out one thing, that it’s never going to be about what you want to give your prospects it’s about what your prospects and clients want and think they need. The problem with giving them what you want is that you may be missing the mark and this means that you won’t be solving your prospects needs or making any money from what you’ve created.
The harsh reality is this, there’s a sea of competition out there and because we live in a fast paced, competitive world if you don’t deliver what your prospect is looking for someone else will. Not only should you acknowledge and appreciate all those who graciously give you their contact information but it’s your responsibility to give them exactly what they want when they arrive.
Can you imagine if every time you created a product, program or service that customers and clients flooded in and started throwing money into your online shopping cart? Well it can happen, in fact it’s done all the time and the reason why others are making a great deal of money is because they’re creating exactly what their ideal clients want, then they deliver it and repeat it over and over again. It’s that simple. Successful marketers have a finger on the pulse of what their prospects really want and need and you can too.
Here are five ways they gather the information and you can to in order to find out what your prospects really want and need:
- Use your autoresponder. Set your ezine service to send out a follow up message several days after a new subscriber signs up for your newsletter. Thank them again for joining your community and simply ask them what their greatest challenge is with __________(whatever your specialization is). Then ask them to hit reply and tell you what that is. You’ll be amazed how many people reply and what kind of information you get in return.
- Periodically ask on social media. Every once in a while ask your followers what they’re struggling with or challenged by. Pose a specific question and ask them to comment.
- Survey. Create and send out a survey through www.surveymonkey.com which is a free service and ask 5-10 questions about what they want and need to help them with whatever it is you specialize in. Then email your list, include it in your ezine, post in forums you belong to and in social media.
- Ask current and past clients. Contact several of your clients and find out how else you can be of service to them. Ask them what else they would like to see from you.
- Evaluations. At the end of a program or product purchase ask them how they liked what you provided. Find out from them how it could be improved and what else they’d like. If they bought from you once it’s likely they’ll buy from you again.
Now that you’ve got this valuable information you should consider it as gold and it’s up to you to create what they’re looking for. This is the beginning of creating many streams of income and when done successfully once you’ll find there’s no end to further creation.
Okay, so now go out and ask your prospects, find out what they want you to give them and start creating. Let’s hear from you, what are you creating? Please share in the comments below.