10 Tips to Choose the BEST Events to Attend for Your Business
October 1, 2015
It’s event season – have you noticed? Between now and the end of the year there are events every week.
From big productions to small intimate events. There’s so much to choose from. With limited time and resources, which are the best ones for you to attend?
This really comes down to strategy and how you build attending events into your business.
Since I both host and attend a lot of events, I’d like to share some of my best tips to help you decide whether to attend events and what’s the best way to maximize these opportunities.
Before you pack your suitcase and book your flight – here are some helpful tips to help you choose and or make going to them easier:
- Make Smart Choices: As I mentioned, there are many events to choose from. You can’t attend every event you see – you must decide which ones are worth the time and the trip. Many event hosts have the same events every year. Start making a list of events you want to attend in the next year and then see where and when they fall. This way you can plan ahead.
- Business, Pleasure, Educational or All: Next you need to decide what you want to get out of these events. New referral partners, strategic alliances, learning a new skill or strategy or simply time to work on what you already know but haven’t had the time or space to do it.
- Movers & Shakers: Sometimes I go to events simply because I know movers and shakers will be there. If I want to meet someone who I haven’t met before and know I will see them at an event I make it a priority to go. Plus I like to get the VIP Guest Upgrade to get to know them better.
- Investment: Going to events can add up. Some events cost upwards of $10,000 and as little as nothing at all. Here’s where you need to decide it going to a costly event is going to give you the return you want. Can you generate more money and business as a result of attending? If so, then don’t you think it’s worth it to get there?
- Travel Expenses: Once again, you will have additional expenses other than the ticket price itself. There’s the transportation, hotel and meals. Sometimes I get the VIP Guest Upgrade just so I’ve got the meals included and I can enjoy the rest of the event without as much hassle.
- Go with a Friend or Colleague: Every year I call my business girlfriends and together we plan which events we’re going together. We make an event out of an event. Since most of my friends are all over the world now, planning to go to events with them is that much better.
- Share a Room: I’ve met some of the best women entrepreneurs because we’ve decided to split the cost of the hotel room. For my upcoming event I have a Facebook group where attendees can find a room share first. This is another way to keep costs down.
- Complimentary Ticket Option: There are many hosts that provide a certain number of complimentary tickets for attendees. If you’ve got one, use yours. Often times people are spending a lot more money to attend that event – don’t let yours go to waste.
- Size Does Matter: I’m a BIG fan of smaller, more intimate events. Not only are they great for networking but you’ve got more intimate time with the host. Imagine getting all of your questions answered by a mentor and feeling like you have focus and direction again.
- Meet Your Mentors: Every time I’ve chosen a mentor I’ve met them at their live event first. Maybe this is just me but if I’m going to make an investment in myself I like to know the person who is mentoring me first. A live event is a great place to do it. Not only can you see if you like them but you can decide if they’re the person to help you get to where you want to go.
So those are some of my tips for helping sort out whether you want to go to events and which ones you might want to attend.
I’d love to hear in the comments below what you like about going to events. What do you hate? How do you choose the ones you attend?
And if you’d like to see one of my events in action make sure to grab one of the 18 remaining seats for Talk & Profit LIVE!, October 22-23 in Providence, RI. Click here to learn more.
I’m Jeannie Spiro, business coach and strategist for woman coaches and service-providers. Want to make more money in your business? Here’s how I can help.
Download the Ultimate Speaking Lead Generation Starter Guide
Discover how to get your most ideal leads from speaking
Want to make more money in your business?
- Here’s how I can help -
Monetize the Stage™: The Signature Talk Lead Generation Program
Attract more clients, fill your funnel and get more ideal clients to your Discovery Calls so you can sell your coaching programs and offers in this private coaching program that includes modules, templates and guides.
Ideal for online coaches, strategists and service based business owners who want to use speaking to attract ideal clients through live and virtual stages.
Revenue Makers Mastermind The Money Multiplying & Business Scaling Program
This 12-month program helps you create recurring revenue business models, transformational offers, a one-to-many marketing system and simplified sales systems to monetize and scale your business and break into multiple 6 figures and beyond.
Ideal for growing and advancing online coaches, strategists and service based business owners who want a streamlined approach to attract, convert and scale.
Sales Strategy with Jeannie: 90-Day Private Sales Accelerator Program
Work with Jeannie in her private 90 day coaching program to design or refine your next offer, develop your speaking funnel and sales system to sell and fill your your offer, coaching program or mastermind with ease.
Ideal for online coaches, strategists and service based business owners who want private coaching to help you launch, sell and enroll clients into your next offer.