It’s crowded out there isn’t it? I’m talking the internet and websites. Did you know that it takes roughly seven seconds from the time
someone lands on your website before they decide if they want to stick around and explore what you have to offer? That means if they decide that quickly then you need to WOW them from the start.
What’s it going to take for you to WOW and stand out? Don’t be envious of all those who look like they have amazing businesses and websites, you can too! Keep reading to find out what the elements are to having a website that WOWs!
- Visually Appealing: Many people are quite visual and will be turned off if what they see doesn’t appeal to them. You may be just the right person to solve their problems but if they can’t get over the look of your site they won’t stick around. Create a site that’s your brand but make sure that the colors aren’t too bold, the font is to bright or too small to read.
- Fabulous Free Offer: we all know that most people won’t give their email away without getting something in return. Provide a fabulous free offer for them to get value from you and you to receive permission to contact and communicate with them. The best place to put your offer is on the right side of your header or the top right side of your home page. Having it in the header will allow it to show up on every page of your website so no matter which page they enter from they’ll be able to opt in to your offer.
- Attention Grabbing Questions: on your homepage of your website ask your readers several specific questions that may be plaguing them. For example: “Are you struggling to figure out how to market your business so you can get more clients and make more money?”. If this happens to be someone in that situation they’ll say “YES” in their head and keep on reading.
- Use “YOU” vs. “I”: many people make the mistake of writing from their perspective vs. writing from the client’s perspective. Make your copy about them and limit the use of “I” and “me” to your About page on your website.
- Make it Easy to Navigate: if you have multiple pages on your website as well as some that are hidden, you’ll want to make sure that your readers can easily navigate from one page to the next. Use graphics to tell them where to go and what to do.
- BlogSite: Most people use WordPress.org as their website and like it because it has a built in blog. I recommend it to my clients because it’s easy to use and can be customized. But if you do have a blog you really should use it. One turnoff is when someone posts infrequently or not at all. Regularity will build trust and show that you’re not just a part time business owner who doesn’t have time to build your business.
- Use Video: A great way for people to get to know you better is to have a video on your home or landing page of your website. You can make a professional one or do one yourself quite easily. Just make it less than 2 minutes so that you don’t lose their attention before you’ve delivered your message. You can make it a brief introduction and let them know how they can subscribe to your Fabulous Free Offer. You can see how I did mine here if you’d like.
Take a look at your site and see if it needs some enhancements based on some of my tips above. Some of the changes you may be able to make on your own and others you may need to hire someone to do. Don’t be stingy on your site, to be considered a professional you must have a professional looking site. This doesn’t mean that you need to spend extreme amounts of money. Get quotes and talk to people to find out how they can make the enhancements you need at an affordable rate.
Is your website packing a punch or do you think it needs some work? How do you feel about managing and maintaining it? Do you handle most of it on your own or outsource to an expert?